Your PROPOSAL. Guys (and gals too), you’ve got to take this serious. You only have one chance to do it right. Don’t botch it up. Your future happiness depends upon it. (not to mention your reputation, more on that later…)
First of all, I want to tell you about this guy I know who’s been married over 25 years. And how bad his proposal was. It really sucked. How was his proposal so very bad? Well, he didn’t do his homework first and he set the bar way too low. Even today his lovely wife doesn’t let him forget about it. Every time the subject comes up he cringes and hides.
Over 25 years ago, realizing that this was the girl he wanted to marry and spend the rest of his life with, he decided he should make sure she felt the same way. Imagine the scene. He’s at his girlfriend’s parents home. On a Friday night. Sitting on the living room couch. (ROMANTIC, huh?) Just finished having dinner with her family and watching the tv now. When the family leaves the room this romantically challenged young fella says to his sweetheart, “Hey do you think we should get married?” And she looks at him, very disappointed, and says something like “Yeah“. To which he replies, “Well when should we do this?” And THAT was the proposal. Horrible. This guy has had years and years of making up for his poor start at romance.
5 Reasons You Need to Have a Great Proposal
- Because she has dreamed of this day for years. Most girls dream of finding their prince charming who sweeps them off their feet. Romantic dinners, walks on the beach, enjoying sunsets together, story book weddings. And they really do want proposal that is more romantic than anyone else’s – especially any of their girlfriends. So don’t disappoint her on this big event in her life.
- It will reaffirm her love for you. If you create a memorable proposal, one that is tailored to just her, it will be one of the most special days of her life. When she realizes how much thought and preparation you put into asking her to marry you, how you included things that mean something important to her in the proposal, she will just melt. Every time she thinks back fondly on this day she can’t help but think how much she loves you.
- You will hear the story for your entire life. So let’s make the story a memorable really cool event. You have the power to make this a great story that you will want to hear 10, 20, 50 years later.
- No do-overs. You only have one shot at this with her. If you really butcher it, you can’t say forget it and do it again next week. It just doesn’t work that way. So think it out and come up with a plan first. Like my dad says, Measure twice, cut once.
- Your reputation. Remember the putz who proposed on his girlfriend’s family couch? Imagine his fiance’s friends looking at him when they heard the story and what they must have been thinking. (My gosh, I’m glad MY husband didn’t propose like that. Poor girl….) Guys, you want to be a hero. Not a putz.
So what can you learn from this? Create a romantic event for your intended that will touch her heart. One that she will fondly recall and bring a smile to her face and make her heart jump. And a great story she will be proud to tell her friends and family when they ask her, “How did he propose?” Because they will ask. And you better have captured her heart with your proposal. Don’t disappoint her. Give her something she will treasure her entire life.
For inspiration for your proposal, check out our Super Cool Proposal Stories.